Thursday, June 26, 2008

2 Years Ago...

Our family June 26th, 2006
Sage June 26th, 2007

Sage June 26th, 2008



2 year ago, we laid eyes on a picture that held the promise of everything we had been dreaming of for well over a year. We saw our Sage for the very first time. June 26th, 2006, our referral day! We began our adoption journey in February 2005. Many of you waited and carried us through that wait. It was endless and at the time, I did not think I could ever do that again. Until I looked into the eyes of my daughter. And I knew at that moment, I would have waited a lifetime for her.
My friend explained referral day as kind of like an ultrasound for those pregnant. And I think that is a great way to describe the feelings. Walking in, knowing you are going to get a glimpse of your child! Yet for me, I walked in with so much less fear than into those ultrasound rooms. I was a fearful pregnant mama. Always anxious. But when I walked into that room to get my referral of Sage, there was no fear. Well maybe a little bit of fear that I was going to pass out before they handed it to me! ;-) If you remember, we had no idea if we were getting a boy or girl, as we had said we were open to either. Of course we assumed it was a girl, but they really DO have boys in China. So we just did not know. It really was a feeling I can’t even describe when I finally saw that picture. One I will never, ever forget. And today, I am filled with sweet memories of that day. Pouring over every tiny detail of those photos and her report. Finally a glimpse of the promise God had given to me, a child that He was holding in His arms.


So today we celebrate knowing her sweet face for 2 years. Mark says we are giving the child way to many celebrations, though he sure does not complain about eating out at our local chinese place. (where the kids claim my best friends live, they love us there!) And I celebrate the reminder that God's promise was fulfilled that day. For months and months I wondered and yes, doubted that we would EVER really have a baby. Even though He had spoke SO clearly to me, I could not understand why we had to wait so long. But then I saw her, and I knew why we waited and that God REALLY did have a plan, MUCH bigger than me.

5 comments:

Faith, Hope, and Love said...

Happy Referral Day!! There is such a magic about referral day...I will never forget it either!! Its almost like the day you give birth to your child and you see their sweet face for the first time...except you have the painful wait to hold them. Hey...any reason is a good reason for Chinese food!!! You will have to visit my favorite place...where Lauren is their biggest fan. :)

Finally a Family of Four said...

I love Sage's haircut, it is so adorable. Happy referral day!!!
Renee

Cassie said...

HAPPY REFERRAL DAY!!!! I am sorry I didn't send something this year. It seems to have sneaked by me. I am so grateful and blessed beyond what I deserve to share this special day with you. You will always be my secret pal and will always pray for you and the family. I am following your walk to Mavery as well. I am so excited for you.

Blessings my friend and peace along the journey!!!
Cassie, Richard, Caleb, Robert, Sarah

Anonymous said...

How can you guys go celebrating at a Chinese restaurant without a TRUE Taiwanese? :p

I have to say...Sage has grown so much over the years and her hair is especially tidy and neat today ~ WooHOo :) She is adorable before, now, and I believe she will always be.

Love you ALL~

Mom to my China Posse said...

Congratulations on another milestone day! Sage is such a beautiful little girl and I love her hair!