Sunday, July 12, 2009

It's a Girl!



No, we are not having another child. I bet some of you were worried weren't you? ;-) For many years we have sponsored a child through Compassion International. It was pretty neat how we got started. Mark "adopted" a child for me as a surprise for our anniversary in 2001. We were given at the time a little girl from Africa who was about 10 years old. We sponsored her till she was out of the program and all enjoyed her letters. When she graduated we were given another beautiful girl also from Africa who we are still supporting. Her name is Fitsum and she is 18.
The weekend I attended Woman of Faith they did a big thing with World Vision. Same concept. Let me give you a quick explanation in case you have no idea what I am talking about. You are given a child (and you have some say in area and age, boy, girl, birthday etc) and you pay around $30 each month that is used to help out this child. Part of the money helps them go to school, get healthcare they need, food, etc.. You are able to write back and forth, send small gifts and in some cases even visit your child! These children are not orphans, they live in a family.
So, I attended the conference and was so excited to see that World Vision worked in China! (compassion does not) I jumped right on the chance to be able to not only help a child out, but in turn help out an entire family! What a blessing for my children to have this type of connection. And of course the chances to actually see her are huge. We will be able to exchange letters and get to know her. We feel like we have another little girl!
I was going to request a boy, but in the end figured God would give us the child he wanted us to support. And really figured that would be a boy. What do you know? Mark asked me why I was surprised at that! Her name is Hai Mei and she is 8 years old. Isn't she just gorgeous?
I know many MANY people that say they want to adopt, but can't afford it, husband won't, do not want more children. Well this is an EASY way to help a child AND their family for just $1 a day. I hope that if you do not sponsor a child you will think about it, pray about it, and then just do it. I promise, you will not regret it.
Oh and don't think I missed that this little sweetie is wearing a shirt covered in ladybugs!

4 comments:

Mom 2 six said...

I did gasp for a minute ~ what a great thing to do.

Mom 2 six said...

I did gasp for a minute ~ what a great thing to do.

Mom 2 six said...

I did gasp for a minute ~ what a great thing to do.

Alyson and Ford said...

Wonderful post and message. You are amazing!

Alyzabeth's Mommy for Almost Ten Months