Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Carriage Ride Amish Tour

One of the things I was most excited about this vacation for was getting to tour the Amish areas. I have always been fascinated by them and reading fiction books based on their lives are one of my favorites. We spent Wednesday going on a buggy ride, touring an amish home, an amish bakery and eating at an amish buffet. Where I got my first taste of ShoeFly Pie, YUM!!!


2 little girls so excited to sit up front with our driver! I think she was as fascinated with them as they were with her! For the record, our driver was menonite, not amish.

This is the house we went in. When they said a house tour, they did not mention that all we would be able to see was the basement! Isn't the house fancier than you would imagine? Notice there are no lights by the door. We were told that the reason they do not have electricity is because they take literally the verse in the bible do not be yoked with unbelievers which to them means to not be linked with even electric lines.



This family was going to be hosting church at their house for the week and so the trailer is full of pews to be used for service. One thing we read is that the Amish think it is interesting that we build these nice fancy houses, that we do not worship in. And then spend a whole bunch of $$ on buildings to worship in just once a week. Those Amish, we maybe should take a few tips from them! ;-)

Amish Schoolhouse. We asked our guide if any amish homeschool and she said, no, why would they? Well I guess I have no idea!

They make an awesome swing set.


More baby goats, barely born. If they stayed that tiny and cute, I would get one!

The buffet we ate at had a kids buffet behind this ark. Very cute!

No comments: